
Some people behind us stopped and called 911. An off duty cop stopped and directed traffic. Matt took care of rest - called Young, who arrived within minutes, called the high school and told them to send Jacob to Tammy's studio. He found my driver's license and insurance info and gave them to the cops, and told them what happened.
The paramedics took me to the hospital immobilized on a back board as a precaution, because my right arm was numb, so I never actually saw the car until Matt showed me the picture on his phone. I'm fine except for some aches, and my thumb is still numb.
After the countless times I've been in the emergency room with my kids, this was the first time I ever been there as a patient, and it made me much more sympathetic to Jacob. After a flurry of activity when I was first wheeled in, they realized I was okay, but the rules said they couldn't unbind me until my c-spine had been cleared by an attending. So I was parked in the hallway for 3 hours, while all kinds of interesting things went on around me that I could hear but not turn my head to see. I couldn't even play tetris on my cell phone, but Young was there and he was good company.
Matt went and picked up Jacob and brought him back to Stanford, and we all went to the Peninsula Creamery, where Jacob had a banana split to celebrate the last day of school.
No comments:
Post a Comment